Player Profiles
Contact Us


Real Tuesday 4 - 2 FBS DeSperadoes

For the benefit of those of you who didn't participate in our comprehensive humping of the FBS DeSperadoes at Peffermill last night, here's the match report that the Maccem Mojo pulled together in between bacon rolls this morning.

In the interests of journalistic accuracy, I should point out that it was actually 2-1 at half time. Our first three goals came from Ian Mowat, with Forbes claiming the last. Special thanks are due to the Real's answer to Paul Merson, Ian Dickson, for falling off the wagon yesterday lunchtime and allowing Forbes a place in the starting lineup.

Special thanks are also due to Iain Storrie for travelling in from Weegieville for the game (any excuse to return to the nation's first city, eh?), Simon Cocker for making several saves that even David 'Tattooed Assassin' Carruthers was forced to admit were pretty impressive and, frankly, Mr and Mrs Mowat for deciding to start a family back in 1985.

Overall, a fairly creditable Real performance, although the fact that one of the DeSperadoes was heard to say 'You can tell those guys play a lot together as a team' after the match kind of puts their level of preparedness into perspective. That, and the fact that (wait for it) our superior fitness levels started to tell in the second half ...

More nonsense to follow later.


Development Services (The FBS DeSperadoes) were challenged to a game of 11-a-side football by HBoS Business Systems and the gauntlet was picked up on Thursday 13th December on Astroturf at Peffermill.

The game started well for FBS, Mark Galloway and Derek Hall introducing the opposition to a few 'meaty' challenges early on. After a promising start, DeS got the break they were looking for, the ball being intercepted by Craig Stewart in midfield, who played a quick 1-2 with Stephen Johnston before scooping the ball over the keeper from 25 yards with 2 defenders closing in. Think Karel Poborsky Vs Peter Schmeichel at USA '98.

1-0 to The DeSperadoes

DeS took confidence from this and a period of domination followed, Colin McCallum, Harry Fisher and John Armstrong playing the sort of football that would make Angels sing down the left hand side.

Things got better for FBS when Derek Hall managed to intercept another wayward midfield ball before despatching a sublime slide-rule pass to Stephen Johnston, who danced around the keeper before finding the corner of the net, despite the attentions of 3 defenders occupying the goal line. 2-0.

Unfortunately, the 2-goal cushion was to last only a few minutes, a scramble in the box resulting in the ball braking to the HBoS left winger who lashed the loose ball into the net. 2-1.

Scores were levelled just before half time, HBoS forcing the DeSperadoes into a couple of mistakes at the back before a more or less open goal presented itself to the HBoS forward who made no mistake.

Half time 2-2 - a score which hardly reflected the domination and quality that FBS had shown.

Unfortunately this couldn't be repeated in the second half, recent Xmas nights out taking an obvious toll on the hardworking midfield!

A rearguard action was needed for the first period of the second half and only some stout defending from Adrian Devlin, Harry Fisher, Neil Sutherland and numerous headed clearances from Mark Galloway prevented the score being worse than it actually turned out to be. HBoS made their advantage count, though, going 4-2 up during this spell.

Lee Hearl in goal was called upon to do his bit to keep the score down by diving bravely at oncoming attacker's feet on more than one occasion.

FBS rallied to try and get something out of the game - David Flynn, Colin McCallum and Derek Hall all going close with long-range efforts. The HBoS Goalkeeper was also called on to make an amazing Jimmy Montgomery-like save, first parrying a deflected shot and then saving a point-blank follow-up from Colin McCallum.

There was just enough time left for David Flynn to go on a twinkle-toed run, the HBoS defence aiming kicks at David at every given opportunity to deny him. The resulting free-kick from Craig Stewart being saved well once again.

So 4-2 was the final score - and FBS found refuge in the very place which had probably cost them their fitness, and therefore the game, in the first place - the Bar!

Craig Stewart

(Match Stats to follow)